God of Mercy and Compassion

I was thinking of the verses in Psalm about the LORD’s compassion.  How He is full of mercy and slow to anger.  I searched verses and read through different translations and was struck with awe at the Aramaic Bible in Plain English (2010):


You are merciful, Lord Jehovah, and righteous, and oh, God, you are compassionate! Psalm 116:5


Can’t you just hear the awe in the psalmist voice!?!


Then I ran across the following hymn.

God of mercy and compassion,
Look with pity upon me,
Father, let me call Thee Father,
'Tis Thy child returns to Thee.

Refrain:
Jesus, Lord, I ask for mercy;
Let me not implore in vain;
All my sins, I now detest them,
Never will I sin again.

2. By my sins I have deserved
Death and endless misery,
Hell with all its pains and torments,
And for all eternity.
(Refrain)

3. By my sins I have abandoned
Right and claim to heav'n above.
Where the saints rejoice forever
In a boundless sea of love.
(Refrain)

4. See our Savior, bleeding, dying,
On the cross of Calvary;
To that cross my sins have nail'd Him,
Yet He bleeds and dies for me.
(Refrain)

It was my sins that killed my Lord Jesus Christ.  But in His unfailing love, compassion and mercy He still calls me His child - He still loves me first! You are merciful, Lord Jehovah, and righteous, and oh, God, you are compassionate! 

Comments

Popular Posts